Monday, September 24, 2012

Inside the National Cathedral

Our tour guide for our private tour of the Cathedral was amazing. Andy has such a passion for the Cathedral that showed through every story and fact he told us. In fact there were times I was so wrapped up in what he was saying I stopped taking pictures completely.
 
When we first stepped inside the Cathedral I was so wrapped up in taking pictures of the stained glass (which turned out to be harder than I thought), I didn't get many pictures of the details of the building. I guess I'll just have to go back someday.
 
If you'd like to see more of the inside of the building, check out my friend Jeff's blog as he took some fantastic photo's of the details of the Cathedral. :)



 The light coming in from the windows creates this beautiful color on the walls

 These two photo were taken from the balcony. They are the only shot's I took because Andy kept telling story after story about the people who's lives were changed just by visiting the church and who later became artists working for the church.

 To give you an idea of how high up we were for the above shot, look for the net in the photo of the main room from the balcony. As you can see in the above photo the net is right below the window.
 These guys were my favorite. If I remember right they are rebuilding the temple. But one of my favorite finds was when Andy pointed out the American influence in the stained glass . . . read the line below the bottom workman. :)
 Andy took us on a behind the scenes tour. The above photo is bottles of wine dated and signed by important leaders in the church over the years. Andy was very proud to have been asked to be one of the signing members of the last bottle on the shelf.
 I love the pattern on the floor from the light coming through the window.

These spiral stairs lead up to the bell tower. We did not get to see the bell tower on this trip . . . maybe next time. :)
 I had to throw this last picture in for my son. Dawson was fasinated with space and astronomy. He wanted to be an astrounat when he grew up. This widow depicts man's flight to the moon. In the middle of the red circle (the moon) is an actual moon rock.

1 comment:

  1. These are all great, Teresa! I love your stained glass shots. I didn't get many, I guess I'll have to go back. Thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete