Sunday, September 9, 2012

Arlington Cementary

Arlington Cemetery will never cease to amaze me. The rows and rows of headstones that go on and on, marking the graves of those who've given everything to defend our country, is truly a sight to see. There are graves dating back to the 1800's. And there are still solders being buried there today.

                                               A view of Arlington House


 If you look at the top right of this photo the graves keep going out of sight


 For some reason this bench makes me think of the Civil War, I wonder how old it is.
 The grave of Pierre Charles L'Enfant a Revolutionary War solider and the designer of the city of Washington DC
 I heard the marching band and ran over to the area to get some pictures. I snapped of these to photos then I saw the flag covered casket. I stopped taking photo's and watched silently as the funeral procession passed by.
 Later that day we came across another funeral in progress and also saw the grounds keepers setting up for 2 more funerals. And in that moment I was reminded that though this is a tourist sight, it is also a very solemn, sad and proud place.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work, Teresa! I love the black and white image as well as the one with the red tree. Very well done. Shoot, they're all good, who am I kidding!

    ReplyDelete